Friday, February 13, 2009

Birthday's Can Be Beautiful

As I get older the excitement and anticipation of each new Birthday seems to diminish with each passing year. As a little girl, I can remember counting Birthdays with eager expectancy even announcing the half year mark with pride. It seemed to take forever until the next Birthday would arrive and I could say I was another year older. Now as the years have quickly crept up on me I accept Birthday wishes with a smile and hope that no one actually asks me how old I will be turning. This year as my Birthday was approaching, Emma, the sweet little girl who I babysit, asked me to show her on my fingers how many years old I would be turning. I guess to a four year old this was a distinct possibility. I just smiled and told her I would need several more hands to accommodate her request. I must say however, even though I do not look forward to turning another year older, I do look forward to time spent with friends who make this day so special. This year they really out did themselves. My Birthday this year fell on a Sunday. When my very best friend, Heidi, asked me what I would like to do I quickly answered that I would like to take a Saturday trip to the Strip District. Now don't worry, with a name like the Strip District your minds are probably swirling with ideas. For those of you familiar with Pittsburgh, you know that this is an area just east of the city known for it's wholesalers, restaurants and fun funky shops. There are so many ethnic groups represented in the Strip and the street vendors are plenty as well selling everything from food to T-Shirts. I was so excited to visit one of my all time favorite stores, Roxanne's Dried Flowers. Let me just show you in photos why this is one of my favorite places.......

This sweet little bird nest was so unique I just fell in love with it. I was thrilled when Heidi offered to purchase it for my Birthday. Wait until you see what I did with it... but that will have to be a post for a later time. After shopping at Roxanne's, we had a most delicious breakfast at a lovely cafe and continued on with our shopping. We purchased the most yummy biscotti, spices, gourmet popcorn, and of course some Steeler T-shirts.
This fun stove was on display at the gourmet popcorn store. Wouldn't it be amazing to have this stove in your kitchen. I just loved the color. Below are flowers for sale on the street corner. Aren't they beautiful.

Heidi and I had such a wonderful morning. I could not have asked for a better way to start off my Birthday celebration---and that was Saturday alone. I have so much more to share from other friends but I think I will do a sequel to this post.
Even though getting a year old is not one of my favorite things, Birthday's can be Beautiful spent with Beautiful friends.

10 comments:

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Hi Mimi, first off, Happy Belated Birthday! I know just what you were trying to say about birthdays rolling around. I love a good birthday, but do dread having to add that one more number to the ever rising sum of my years on this earth! :-) But, I have to say, I am just over 50 now, and my life turned around when I hit that magical number. I am having more fun then ever! I could have even more fun in a fantastic place like your Strip District! How wonderful!! I LOVED your pictures, they were just wonderful, so colorful. And that stove, can you picture waking up every morning to making some scrambled eggs on that! what fun! Sounds like you had a lovely time out and about with your girlfriend in occasion of your special day. thanks so much for sharing with us. I enjoyed the post very much. In fact, I scrolled up and down several times, just to enjoy the pictures a few times! - Debby

Scrap for Joy said...

Your posts are always such an interesting read...and I also get to hear the stories in person. Reading them is different, though..more magical somehow. I guess I need to revisit Roxanne's. Your pictures are beautiful! It's been years since I've been there, it has grown considerably. You girls always have a great time together. Hope you're feeling better every day.

Mimi Sue said...

My dad used to tell everyone he was 10 years older than he actually was, so if he was 60 he'd say he was 70 and everyone would tell him wow, you look so great for being 70. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Gorgeous shops. Love that stove. Looks like you girls had a wonderful time. The perfect day. Mimi

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Oh my......I love your blog!! Happy Belated Birthday and early Valentine's Day greetings!
I hope that you don't mind if I follow your blog? Your things are so pretty.
Please drop by to have a little visit with me at my blog when you have a minute or two. We'll do "mid-life" together? (I don't know why they call it that.....this ain't the middle of MY life.....how bout YOU?)

The Catnap Cottage said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! I stopped counting a long time ago, will be 49 in a few weeks. That shop is so fabulous - I want to go there too!! Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics!! Cindy

LisaJanelle said...

Hi Mimi!...Happy Belated Birthday...I love birthdays!...I am so happy you shared with us your special day. I have given you an award over on my blog. Please stop by and see and collect it. Thanks!...

LisaJanelle
www.warmheartcozyhome.typepad.com

Unknown said...

My visit to you blog is always a feast for the eyes and this time was no exception. I love your cards!-Debbie

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Wow! Thanks for taking us along. Lots of eye candy there!!! And so glad your birthday was wonderful. : )

Unknown said...

I wanted to pop in and let you know I'm having a giveaway on my blog, A Fine Feathered Nest. Come on by and put your name in the hat!

Cheers!

LisaJanelle said...

Hey Mimi :)

Just what the doctor ordered to inspire me for spring! Happy Belated Birthday dear blog friend...

LisaJanelle
www.warmheartcozyhome.typepad.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...