Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Sugarplum Fairy

When I was a little girl, I never really had the dream as some girls do to be a ballerina.  Oh I liked to dance.  I can remember watching Laurence Welk with my parents and when Bobby and Sissy would appear my sister and I would dance together around the living room ( I think I may be dating myself....heheheh)  But the actual thought of becoming a ballerina just didn't cross my mind....until now.  On Sunday afternoon  I was treated to a performance of the Nutcracker and it was amazing!! Heidi was given four tickets and her husband and 17 year old son just were not terribly excited to attend.  It was a great girls day out with she, her daughter Jenna, my mom and me.  The whole production was one that I will remember forever.  The dancers, costumes, and scenery were simply breathtaking.  With the first act coming to a close I thought I could not love anything more than the Snow Queen and the Snowflakes.  I watched in awe as they danced so gracefully in the lightly falling snow.  But then...in the second act the Sugarplum Fairy appeared with everything you imagine a ballerina to be.  She was so beautiful, graceful, delicate, and elegant.  Her costume was amazing with it's soft pink color and glittering jewels.  She glided across that stage seemingly without effort.  I was mesmerized. 

(I tried to find a picture of her from this performance, but I could only find this one of her from Sleeping Beauty.)
Needless to say we had the most wonderful time.  Another Christmas memory that I will treasure forever....


The perfomance was held in the Benedum Center in Pittsburgh.  The theatre is so beautiful.  My picture doesn't  come close to capturing all of it's splendor. 


After this most amazing day, you could say that this "big girl" now has the dream of a "little girl"....Yes I want to be the Sugarplum Fairy.  I guess a girl can still dream---can't she.

6 comments:

Melinda said...

I love the Nutcracker! It is one of my favorite holiday traditions.
Enjoy the rest of the holiday season.
Love to see you stop by Dreaming.

Melinda

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Happy New Year to you and your family, Mimi!! I'm so happy that you had such a wonderful time at the ballet. Aren't they so incredibly magical?!!? I remember seeing The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center when I was a young child. I don't remember a lot of details but I do remember feeling like I was in such a magical place. The costumes were beyong gorgeous and I never wanted it to end. Thanks for bringing back that memory for me. :) Have a happy and safe new year's eve. It's been such a pleasure getting to know you thru your blog this past year. XOXO

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Scrap for Joy said...

The dancers seem lighter than air and their movements are so graceful! I nver dreamed of being a ballerina eithr...just an ice skater. I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience this treasure at the Benedum...a treat for sure!
xoxo

Karen said...

Hi Mimi, I found your place through Melinda's Country Dreaming. I took my kids to the Nutcracker years ago and it we all loved it. It's such a magical performance.

Your blog is so warm and friendly. And your crafts are wonderful! So glad I stopped by.

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Mimi, hi! I was just dropping by from 2010 already, since the clock has passed midnight here in Germany already. Wanted to wish you a happy new year!!

LOVED your post on the ballerina in the family! My girls took lessons for years and we had many a happy event when they danced on stage, but they never quite made it to the toe shoes. One daughter was only months away from training in them, but decided that she liked hores back riding instead! So much for my dream of having a ballerina in the family, since it was something that i myself had always wanted to do. You must have been thrilled to see her dance. I just love her picture in the blue outfit from a former performance. how wonderful!!

take care dear friend, and wishing you and yours a wonderful new Year, with many new happy moments to come your way. debby

Mimi Sue said...

I have a daughter who was a ballerina and because of that I've seen the Nutcracker lots of times! One year she was the Snow Queen. It is a fun holiday tradition. Glad you had fun with the girls. Mimi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...