Monday, March 22, 2010

A Vintage Alphabet Party

Everyone loves a party and there is one going on over at the  Etsy Cottage Style blog.  It is a vintage alphabet party.  A letter/s is assigned to each month and all you need to do to participate is post something vintage that corresponds to that letter.  I have been following along but this month I decided to also play along.  The letters for the month of March are C and D. 
Cis for ....

This clock belonged to my Grandma Gulyas.  I can still remember her coming for visits and bringing this clock along to wake her in the morning.  I wish you could hear the alarm on this clock.  Not only did it wake her and the rest of the sleeping members of the family but I believe the whole neighborhood as well.  I love this old clock ---a piece of my Grandma that I will forever cherish.
C is also for.........

This cookbook was given to me by my neighbor.  It was a gift given to her in 1956.  I am so grateful she decided to share this treasure with me.  I have taken a few photos of my favorite pages.  The graphics are wonderful and you will be sure to get a giggle at some of the captions. 
 
D is for.......
This sweet little doorstop belonged to my Grandma Smisko.  She had these clusters of grapes resting at the foot of each door in her home.  I can remember when I was a little girl being fascinated with the tiny flowers encased in each grape. 
Thanks for taking a peek at my vintage alphabet treasures.  Don't forget to hop on over to Etsy Cottage Style to enjoy the rest of the party.

14 comments:

Joanne Smisko said...

You bring back sweet memories of home and visits to the Grandmas'. The grape doorstop from Grandma Smisko was purchased for Mothers Day by me way back when Gimbels was the biggest department store in Pittsburgh. Loved this blog. See you hopefully Thursday.
Mom at the beach

Chris said...

Your blog is darling! Your cookbooks are so wonderful!! They remind me of my childhood and watching my Mom or Grandma cook.

Char said...

I love the fact that your post was mostly about things belonging to your beloved grandmother. I was very close to mine while growing up and still miss her today. I think my favorite thing you featured was the Big Ben clock. The ticking on those things always kept me awake!! You are so right about them waking up the whole house. What great memories your post brings back. I also love the old pictures in the cookbooks, don't we all wear dresses when we clean and cook? Sadly, I don't remember the last time I put a dress on, Char

Scrap for Joy said...

Great post Mimi! Those old wind-up (no digital here!)clocks were louder than a firetruck..I would much rather wake up to soft music playing. I howled over the cookbook. Yes, I always dress appropriately while cleaning ROFLOL! I loved the picture of the food flying out of the oven, too. So funny! I never noticed those grapes at your house-they are so pretty and it is so nice that you have things that were used by your Grandmothers. Wonderful memories.
xoxo
Joyce

Melinda said...

Nifty little memories. The clock is great and I have never seen
that type of doorstop.
Cool.

Melinda

deb said...

What wonderful memories your clock must bring you. Love your cookbooks!
*hugs*Deb

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Wonderful collectibles!
I have a trio of old Big Ben and Baby Ben clocks from my gram, too. :-)
Love those glass grape/flower thingys...So fun!

Kimberly :-)

Debbi said...

Great post Mimi, love your walk down memory lane with your grandma...so very special!

Unknown said...

Well,
I am sure glad I sw your post....next time I will just lay down int he middle of the kitchen floor for 3-5 minutes! What a hoot!!!! Problem isn't getting down, just up off the floor! I am going over to check out this fun idea!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What great memories, and Betty Crocker's advice is as always flawless--Except I wouldn't dare lay down on my floor to relax, I'd be mobbed!! :-))) Hope your week is off to a good start!

Janelle said...

Oh, how fun, Mimi! Love that cookbook -- and thanks for taking so many pictures of the inside pages. I got a few good giggles. And am wishing for that housewife's magic wand, too! :)

Unknown said...

OH, I love that cookbook. The doorstop is a waonderful treasure.
So glad you joined in this month. Hope you join in now regularly.

★Carol★ said...

That cookbook looks like something I could sit and look at for hours! And I can't believe that beautiful grape cluster is a doorstop! I can understand why you were fascinated with it as a child. I'm quite fascinated by it myself. It's lovely!

Shirley said...

I haven't seen a clock like that for a long long time. We had one, but I don't know whatever happen to it. I also remember the clock that was my grandmother's that would chime on the hour and half hour. My dad always would make sure he wound it for my benefit when I came home for the weekend from college. Take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...