Monday, February 21, 2011

Learning to Quilt

I have been blessed with a very talented mom who is an amazing quilter.  From the time I was a little girl I can remember my mom creating things with her sewing machine.  She would sew Barbie cloths for my family of dolls as well as dresses for my sister and I. We always had the best Halloween costumes made with the loving hands of my mom.  When I was about 12 years old my mom sent me to sewing class with the hopes that I would catch on and also develop her love for sewing.  Needless to say that love never came about.  I can remember the day that my mom purchased her first quilt magazine.  We looked through the pages together admiring those beautiful works of art.  Before I knew it she was creating her own beautiful works of art.  She would encourage me to give it a try but I loved to scrapbook and work with paper.  Recently I have been creating my paper quilts so the time seemed right to give fabric quilting a try.  This year for my birthday I asked my mom to teach me to quilt.   
We took a trip to the local quilt shop to choose the fabric.  I just love this fabric by Moda--Lily and Will.  By the end of the evening we had most of the quilt top completed.  My assignment--to finish the quilt top on my own so that I could return to have my lesson on completing the quilt.
Adding the batting

Making the binding



There you have it-----my first fabric quilt.  It is not a large quilt--just a little wall hanging but I was really excited with the end result.  Feeling pretty confident, I thought I would try one all on my own.  This time I used my cricut to cut the image for the middle of the wall hanging. 



A little help with attatching the binding.....
And Ta da.........

I think I may be hooked.  Creating these little wall hangings was really very fun.  I hope I have enough space in my craft room for all my new quilting supplies (lol)  Thanks Mom for sharing your talents with me. xoxox

11 comments:

Joanne Smisko said...

Dear Mimi
Your first quilts are absolutely beautiful and much, much better than my first quilt. This could be the start of something good.
Mom

Melinda said...

Cute wall hangings. Love the colors in the first one.

Melinda

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

HELLO MY FRIEND!! Now I know where you get your talent and creativity from! I find it interesting that sewing wasn't something that you wanted to do at first. But it does seem to me, that as your talent has become so refined, you've just taken it to the next level--And you've done an amazing job on your first project--If this were me, I'd still be looking at fabric! :-)))

Shirley said...

Hi Mimi, I think you did a wonderful job and mothers are so helpful with their talent. I really like the one with the little truck in the middle. You will just have to do more. Have a wonderful day. Your Missouri Friend.

Scrap for Joy said...

Everything you attempt, you do a wonderful job! These 2 little quilts are just adorable and I'm sure your Mama is very happy and proud of you. Now is she going to try scrapbooking?
It took David 3 hours to get home tonight,,,cars stuck everywhere! Did I mention that I hate winter?
xoxo
Joyce

Mimi Sue said...

Sooooo adorable! I have a quilt all cut out and partially finished. You're inspiring! Mimi

Maxmom said...

What a beautiful little quilt and how wonderful that you have your mom around to teach you. Mothers are really special and the time spent together with them becomes the memories for your own Life's journey.
Enjoy your talents.
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SOUTH AFRICA

Janelle said...

Oh, I love your first little quilts. Great job! And what a fun thing for you to do with your mom... bet she thoroughly enjoyed teaching you! My mom loves to sew, too -- and quilt. I enjoy it in spurts and have lately been getting the itch again. Maybe one of these days I'll break out my sewing machine and see if I still remember how to thread the thing! :)

Garter Mademoiselle said...

My mom taught all of us sisters how to sew too, and I can't picture one time in my life that my mother did not sew something for us, be it Barbie clothes (I still have them!!), or Halloween costumes. I love to sew, but never learned to quilt. Your new creations are fantastic, and reflect your lovely paper creations!! You might just have found a new passion! I love how you captured the whole process in photos. I will have to try that with one of my next creations.

Heidi said...

You are so lucky! My mom used to make quilts for our bedding (but they were never pretty, and always only made out of old clothes!). She also made braided rugs from our old clothes. Guess that's why I dont' quilt, but I do scrap with what I have on hand!
Very pretty and CUTE quilt!
I guess someday I could learn, too!

Christel said...

Your first quilt turned out so cute! I love the one with the little truck on it too. (Is that from New Arrival?) What size did you cut the truck at? It looks huge! lol! I haven't tried cutting fabric with my Cricut yet. TFS! I just found your blog and really like it so far. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...